SAX2: Namespace Processing and NSUtils helper class

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Wed Dec 15 17:30:47 GMT 1999

At 09:54 AM 12/15/99 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
>I've done a lot of thinking about how we
>can make SAX2 Namespace processing both efficient and
>backwards-compatible.

I'm not sure backwards-compatible is really a good idea.  The
namespace-sensitive and namespace-oblivious views of a chunk of XML
are just deeply, totally, massively incompatible, and it seems wrong
to try to paper that over.  I also don't think it's worth investing
any effort at all in accomodating XML documents that use colons in names
but aren't namespace-aware, given the explicit warnings against doing
this in the XML 1.0 spec.

So I think it would be cleaner to deal with the fact that names can have
two parts, and not kludge them together with {} marks.  -Tim