SAX2: Namespace Processing and NSUtils helper class

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Wed Dec 15 19:06:21 GMT 1999

At 01:06 PM 12/15/99 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
>> So I think it would be cleaner to deal with the fact that names can have
>> two parts, and not kludge them together with {} marks.  -Tim
>We talked about this a few months ago, but I'd be happy to hear what
>people think now.

I'm afraid I think this is a hideous idea, and that's an understatement.
Even apart from code bloat - having to deal with two parts of a name means
twice as much code every place the name matters - I'm really not sure I
like the logic behind this approach.

There are two cases where I think this approach could be useful. The first
is separating components from different namespaces for different
processing, which could be a good idea but isn't worth the cost so far as
I'm concerned. The second case is downright funny to me at least,
situations where you want to discard the namespace entirely and focus only
on the local part.  This latter approach might have been useful, indeed
necessary, if we'd been stuck with a 3-namespace XHTML, but we're not, at
least for today.

In just about every other situation, I think I'd rather work with a single
easily-kludged and un-kludged name that have to make two calls and kludge
them together myself.  While I think the two part approach might be
acceptable _if_ there's an option (heck, SAX2 supports that!) to choose
between them, I don't think two parts as the only approach in SAX2 itself
is even worth considering.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer, 2nd Ed.
Building XML Applications