Since we're talking about databases...

Jerome McDonough jmcdonou at library.berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 2 17:01:30 GMT 1999

At 07:02 AM 2/2/1999 -0500, David Megginson wrote:

>2. JDBC will let people put exactly as much power as they need on the
>   back end, from MSQL or PostgreSQL (or, if they're masochists,
>   Access) for light-weight work, to Oracle, Sybase, DBII, etc. for
>   heavy-grade stuff.

I agree with David completely on the JDBC issue, but a word of warning
from someone who's been there. *Don't* think that you can do this with
Microsoft Access (not sure about other Microsoft products).  Having spent
a month trying to persuade both Intersolv's and Microsoft's JDBC/ODBC bridges
to not blow up in my face after three queries into Access, I think I can
vouch for that not being a stable solution.  I tried the same Java code
and same relational structure under Sybase and it worked just fine, however.
I'd stick with databases that support JDBC directly.

Jerome McDonough -- jmcdonou at library.Berkeley.EDU  |  (......)
Library Systems Office, 386 Doe, U.C. Berkeley     |  \ *  * /
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000    (510) 642-5168          |  \  <>  /
"Well, it looks easy enough...."                   |   \ -- /  SGNORMPF!!!
         -- From the Famous Last Words file        |    ||||

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)