Since we're talking about databases...

len bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Tue Feb 2 23:32:39 GMT 1999

Take a look at the papers of Dr. Michael Stonebraker (www.informix.com)
on the design of relational databases with object support designed
into the kernel which enable user-defined extensions, support for
complex types, etc.  His claim is that this approach is the new
generation of db.

He posits arguments and figures for the performance of this
approach over middleware that might be interesting.  I find
myself wondering about how this approach would work if
XML support were built into the kernel.  Stonebraker posits
it would be far superior for 3D.  Since we have some
experience with geodata and the performance problems of keeping
this in the relational db (not the way to go),
I wonder if architectural issues with XML systems that
rely on middleware will be similar.

len bullard

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)