"Namespaces in XML" idea?

Dan Brickley Daniel.Brickley at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Feb 9 09:43:08 GMT 1999

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Ronald Bourret wrote:

> Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
>
> By the way, I was a little surprised to read that expat does not pass xmlns
> attributes to the application.  I had always assumed that attributes were
> part of the document's data and therefore the processor was required to
> pass them to the application.  [...]

A pragmatic reason for passing on the xmlns:xyz information is that some
applications might want to go beyond what 'Namespaces in XML' itself
provides and use similarly abbreviated values _inside_ data attributes
instead of full URIs (eg. for data types), and make use of the XMLNS
info when doing so.

eg.
	<ABC dt:dt="http://xmlschemas.org/useful/datatypes/Float>22.2232</ABC>
	versus
	<ABC dt:dt="USEFUL:Float">22.2232</ABC>

	(where USEFUL has an xmlns:USEFUL declaration somewhere)

By cutting out this information at such a low level, applications won't
be able to consider doing this sort of thing.

Dan

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)