"Namespaces in XML" idea?

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Tue Feb 9 12:38:32 GMT 1999

Dan Brickley writes:

 > > By the way, I was a little surprised to read that expat does not
 > > pass xmlns attributes to the application.  I had always assumed
 > > that attributes were part of the document's data and therefore
 > > the processor was required to pass them to the application.
 > > [...]
 >
 > A pragmatic reason for passing on the xmlns:xyz information is that some
 > applications might want to go beyond what 'Namespaces in XML' itself
 > provides and use similarly abbreviated values _inside_ data attributes
 > instead of full URIs (eg. for data types), and make use of the XMLNS
 > info when doing so.

The easiest way to resolve this question would be to decide that

1. Namespace declarations do not appear as attributes in the
   Namespaces view; and

2. some applications may require information from both the XML 1.0 and
   the Namespaces view concurrently.

Note that neither is normative -- I'm proposing them only as rules of
thumb.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com