Streaming XML (Was RE: XML Information Set Requirements, W3C Note 18-February-1999)

Eisele, Fred fred.eisele at eds.com
Tue Feb 23 18:13:24 GMT 1999

This is off the top of my head but...
Presume that the XML engine has the job of determining whether
a particular stream is a theorem of a particular language.
Ultimately, the stream is either a well-formed-formula (wff) or it
is not, and if it is a wff it may also be a theorem, i.e. valid.
There is another category before the wff (the name escapes me).
In the context of NFA (regular expressions (which I realize XML is
not)) the automata goes through many states, some of which indicate
that the formula is not well-formed, but until that time the formula
is tentatively accepted.
It seems to me that this is the status of a stock ticker until the
final end tag is set.
In addition to this is the general situation
that wff's are built up from other wff's.
This is what seems to be going on with the Streaming XML.
That's all.
Thanks

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)