Streaming XML (Was RE: XML Information Set Requirements, W3C Note 18-February-1999)

len bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Wed Feb 24 01:46:02 GMT 1999

Mark Birbeck wrote:

> > Not to be tendentious, but some of us having been doing that for at
> > least a generation now.  SGML works.
>
> Hello Len, I was using my words carefully! SGML has of course been
> around for a while, and been very important for document management and
> generation. But in the world of software engineering we are constantly
> reinventing the wheel; coming up with new file formats, parsers,
> transmission mechanisms, and so on. So, in the world I'm in, XML *is* a
> unique and unprecedented contribution.

Hello Mark:

I am being careful as well.  The work being done is not as much
being reinvented as building new walls and towers on a pre-existing city
that was strong to begin with if not as large. The XML effort has been
one of
trying to make sure the original foundations are made stronger, not
unique.  What changed was the name and the venue.

Sometimes reinvention is new masons learning old lessons.  If
they draw different conclusions, they should test them on existing
architecture.  Otherwise, we only get to sell in the bazaar.
Personally, I like vaulted ceilings even with flying buttresses.
Better sound, better music, more seating, wealthier patrons.

len()

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)