FW: XML Mail

Clark Evans clark.evans at manhattanproject.com
Tue Feb 23 19:20:23 GMT 1999

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I'm making progress
on the subject, so I'd like your feedback.

A while back I wrote:

> The rewrite program would:

<snip/>

To which David Megginson wrote:

> Wrong -- or, to put it differently, it should leave content with
> text/html and text/xml alone, but it should not try to recognise
> markup in text/plain.

Then, Parand Tony Darugar <tdarugar at binevolve.com> and
Jonathan Borden <jborden at mediaone.net> posted their
current implementations of such a monster.

The debate then swung as to how to treat the "body"
of the e-mail.  Most people agreed that it was some
sort of CDATA thing, where "]]>" in the text body
would become "]]&gt;"

My question:

  Isn't there a way to do smart stuff like #2 ?

For example, look at Didier's post below.
It'd be slick to have the XMLMail program
recognize his markup.

For my example, I'd like to "embeed" bookkeeping
information in my e-mail.  If the e-mail leaves
the 'organization', the bookkeeping is stripped.

A wizened browser using style sheets may put
the bookkeeping info off to the side, where
an old e-mailer may show it in-line.

This way I can do stuff like:

<bookkeeping date="23feb1999" contract="research-xml" hours=".25"
  work="Wrote e-mail to xml-list about extracting tagged bookkeeping
        information from an otherwise text-only message"
/>

Then I can run all of my e-mail through my
journal, which then hits my ledger, and accounts
for my time appropriately.  I'm actually very
serious about this...

Best,

Clark

XML, it's not just for computers anymore.