FW: XML Mail

Borden, Jonathan jborden at mediaone.net
Wed Feb 24 02:09:02 GMT 1999

I have modified XMTP to wrap non text/xml bodies in <![CDATA[ sections. The
problem with text/html is that it is not required to be well-formed ... that
is there may be missing start and or end tags ... for this reason the
correct way to convert text/html sections into XML is to either escape or
CDATA wrap the section.

text/xml sections need not be wrapped.

if you see http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net there are instructions on several
XMTP (XML E-mail) demos so that you can test these concepts yourself.

BTW: ]]&gt; is not an acceptable transformation for ]]> within a CDATA
section because this is interpreted literally as ]]&gt;, John Cowan's
suggestion of converting ]]> into ]]]]><![CDATA[> is the one I have adopted.

so, XMTP *does* recognize markup, as either XML by virtue of the
content-type: text/xml or as text containing lots of < and > to be escaped.

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)