Streams, protocols, documents and fragments

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Wed Feb 24 21:39:14 GMT 1999

Tom Harding writes:

 > Mark Birbeck wrote:
 >
 > > You know when you've reached the end by the closing tag. That's
 > > it!
 >
 > There's the pesky issue of the document "epilog" which is Misc
 > markup that can follow the closing tag.  If the XML Rec were
 > changed to disallow this then I would be in complete agreement.

More importantly, you don't want to have to parse an entire document
just to find out where it ends because that forces your system into
linear processing -- on a busy server, it is absolutely necessary to
be to isolate the documents/packets quickly and pass them off to
separate threads (or even separate boxes) for parsing and processing.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/