recursing root element

Ronald Bourret rbourret at ito.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Feb 26 14:11:52 GMT 1999

Frank Boumphrey wrote:

> is
>
> i.e. a recursing root element, a legal XML document,
>
> >From my reading of section 2.1 it isn't but the MSXML parser lets it
stand,
> so I'm probabably wrong.

It is well-formed and therefore legal. With a DTD of:

<!DOCTYPE xdoc [
   <!ELEMENT xdoc (#PCDATA, xdoc)*>
]>

it would also be valid.

Note that there is a difference between a root element and a root element
type.  XML documents have both.  The root element is the outermost element
and is discussed in section 2.1.  In this case, it is the outer <xdoc>
element.  The root element type is the type of the root element and is
declared in a DOCTYPE statement; it is discussed in section 2.8.  Your
example did not specify a root element type; the DOCTYPE statement I added
declares it to be xdoc.  There is nothing to stop elements with the root
element type from occurring elsewhere in the document.

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)