recursing root element

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Fri Feb 26 14:31:00 GMT 1999

>Aquick question
>
>is
>
>i.e. a recursing root element, a legal XML document,
>
>>From my reading of section 2.1 it isn't but the MSXML parser lets it
stand,
>so I'm probabably wrong.

Yes, it's a legal (well-formed) XML document. I think the reason 2.1 might
have confused you is that you are taking "element" as if it were "element
type". Section 2.1 says there is only one *element* that is the root, not
that there is only one *element type*. The one *element* that is the root
can be of the same type as other elements in the document (as in your
example).

Hope this helps.

James
--
James Tauber / jtauber at jtauber.com / www.jtauber.com
Associate Researcher, Electronic Commerce Network

Full-day XML Tutorial @ WWW8 : http://www8.org/

Maintainer of : www.xmlinfo.com,  www.xmlsoftware.com and www.schema.net

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)