Regulating the XML Marketplace

Michael S. Brothers Michael.S.Brothers at EMCIns.Com
Fri Jan 8 16:32:16 GMT 1999

Hello,

I am not a developer, but a manager/philosopher (sounds more
high-falutin' than it is) interested in new tools to enhance web-based
commerce. I therefor welcome this recent discussion in lieu of the
highly technical ones that have dominated the last few weeks.

Paul, Simon, Matthew et al. all have some extremely good points. The
key one to me is that 'flash' is not what's at stake here. I think Paul
is saying that flash is necessary to get people excited about using a
new tool, otherwise the idea becomes diluted and everyone goes their
own merry way. From what I can tell, XML is possibly (possibly) the
gateway toward better standardization of Web-commerce (write all the
cool stuff you want, you still gotta pay the bills). If apps are easier
to write in XML, and thus cheaper, all the better. If XML-based apps
increase on the woeful capability of HTML to do web-commerce, exchange
information, and facilitate translation and storage of generated data
into legacy systems via the Internet, hoorah. Sell that to the people
who will actually make the decisions on what to buy and people will get
very excited about XML and the apps it helps to develop.

The electronic marketplace and information clearinghouse in place today
is a jumble of value-added networks, proprietary systems, incompatible
protocols, yada yada yada. XML might not be THE answer to clean it all
up, but it does appear to be a good move in that direction.

Michael S. Brothers
Michael.S.Brothers at EMCIns.com
515-362-7473
"I like different foods. Ham, bacon, pork chops."
"But Dad, those all come from the same animal."
"Yesss, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal."

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)