Regulating the XML Marketplace

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Fri Jan 8 16:39:08 GMT 1999

At 11:20 AM 1/8/99 -0500, Mark Baker wrote:
>The true value of XML, IMHO, is in its potential to become ubiquitous.

Precisely.  The ability for a thousand different applications to share
identical plumbing is a significant step forward, not something to be
sniffed at by jaded experts.

This isn't just for the bean counters - XML means that people can finally
start sharing data without everyone needing to have precisely the same set
of tools.  Sharing a format like this can reduce costs across the board,
not to mention aggravation.

Reducing costs makes it possible to create much grander applications and
move into new fields.  XML is an excellent fit for component-based
development, allowing people to use each other's work instead of having to
reinvent the wheel constantly.  Less need for reinvention means more time
for real work.

I'm at work building tools and documents I hope will contribute to this
movement, and I hope others are as well.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Cookies
Sharing Bandwidth
Building XML Applications (March)