Regulating the XML Marketplace

Dave Winer dave at userland.com
Fri Jan 8 16:53:45 GMT 1999

>The true value of XML, IMHO, is in its potential to become ubiquitous.

Precisely.  The ability for a thousand different applications to share
identical plumbing is a significant step forward, not something to be
sniffed at by jaded experts.

---
That's where this whole thing gets hung up, IMHO, in the breathless
self-importance. I've seen this over and over, in communities that thought
that what they were doing is so cool that all they had to do is believe it
would be huge and it would be. General Magic, Newton, Java come to mind.
There have been many others. (OpenDoc, HyperCard, integrated software,
object oriented programming, hey what about "push").

You're not necessarily involved in writing the Constitution or the Magna
Carta. This stuff could easily all turn out to be irrelevant. Realistically
right now it *is* irrelevant. Only if we start focusing on deploying apps
that break down walls can it become relevant. Let's get some practical
benefits delivered to end users and be more prosaic and realistic and
entrepreneurial about what we're doing here.