XML media types revisited

James Robertson jamesr at steptwo.com.au
Fri Jan 15 00:29:25 GMT 1999

At 10:02 15/01/1999 , Simon St.Laurent wrote:

  | At 10:49 AM 1/15/99 +1000, James Robertson wrote:
  | >Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious, but:
  | >
  | >What distinguishes cml, MathML, etc from any other
  | >DTD?
  | >
  | >ie, if we are looking at xml/mathml, why shouldn't
  | >I expect to have:
  | >
  | >	xml/myml
  | >	xml/theirml
  | >	xml/everyonesml
  | >
  | >That is, if we are using the MIME type to distinguish
  | >between DTDs, won't we need a type for _every_ DTD
  | >that could be used for interchange?
  |
  | That's fine by me, except that it would need to be:
  | xml/x-myml
  | xml/x-theirml
  | xml/x-everyonesml (or xml/everyonesml if 'everyonesml' was a registered
  | subtype.)

OK, that's fine.

But to rephrase my question:

Who decides which DTDs have sufficient merit/useage/stability/etc
to warrant a registered subtype?

It seems unrealistic to expect IETF to make those sort
of decisions.

Or, to rephrase again:

If I write a new DTD for (say) classifying house bricks,
to be used in the building industry, and I go to to the
IETF, and say:

	Give me a registered subtype!

What should they do and say?

Cheers,