XML media types revisited

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Fri Jan 15 15:30:10 GMT 1999

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> I don't expect the IETF to change this anytime soon, but it does seem like
> something that could stand improvement.  XML isn't really a text format -
> Tim Bray used to say, it's a replacement for ASCII.

I think that Tim meant to say that it is *analogous* to ASCII. It sure
isn't a replacement for Unicode or ASCII in any sense. There are going to
be many places in the Web information system where ASCII and Unicode are
used without XML. The most reasonable way to handle this would be to allow
mime types to have arbitrary levels.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Don't you know that the smart bombs are so clever, they only kill
bad people."
	- http://www.boingo.com/lyrics/WarAgain.html

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)