XML media types revisited

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Fri Jan 15 15:53:44 GMT 1999

At 09:13 AM 1/15/99 -0600, Paul Prescod wrote:
>There are going to
>be many places in the Web information system where ASCII and Unicode are
>used without XML. The most reasonable way to handle this would be to allow
>mime types to have arbitrary levels.

Of course plain text will still survive; I'm hardly proposing abolishing
text or application as top-level types.  I'm just saying that XML is a
top-level type itself.

Your arbitrary level proposal is quite reasonable, though I suspect that
that would require considerably more development (through the full IETF
process) than just adding a new top-level type.

Intriguing possibility, though...

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Cookies
Sharing Bandwidth