Summary of XML schema languages

Ronald Bourret rbourret at ito.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Jan 15 16:33:31 GMT 1999

I recently gave a presentation on XML schema languages.  Due to the recent
questions about these on XML-Dev, I've annotated my slides and made them
available on the Web.  A majority of my audience didn't know XML, so the
presentation starts with a brief description of XML. It then discusses why
you might want XML schema languages, their basic syntax, and what the major
differences between the four existing languages (XSchema, DCD, SOX, and
XML-Data) are.  It ends with a summary of what I think a schema language
should have today and what languages I think you should use for what
purpose.

You can find the presentation at:

   HTML:

     http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/DVS1/staff/bourret/xml/xmlsch
emas/index.htm
   PowerPoint:

     http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/DVS1/staff/bourret/xml/xmlsch
emas/XMLSchemas.ppt

Warning: The notes are a bit rough and sometimes rather opinionated.  Feel
free to send me comments and complaints.

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)