Summary of XML schema languages

Murray Maloney murray at muzmo.com
Fri Jan 15 19:47:42 GMT 1999

Ron,

Thank you for performing this service to the community.

The XML Schema WG is about to undertake a similar comparison
with a requirements vs. capabilities emphasis.

All in all, I certainly appreciate having this document available.
I would be much happier if this comparison were less biased toward
XSchema, but that is understandable considering that Ron is one
of the co-authors of XSchema.

With your indulgence, I would like to clarify some aspects of SOX...

In the slide "Reusing schema elements: method 2",
SOX is not listed. In fact, SOX does provide for
including only required parts of schemas. This is
accomplished by referencing elements in foreign schemas.

The relationship between a SOX schema and a DTD is defined,
but is not present in the public document. I anticipate
that a revised and updated version of SOX will be made
available in the near future.

Under SOX, it would be more accurate to say that "SOX was
submitted to the W3C by Veo Systems". My role, and that
of Muzmo Communication Inc., was as a paid contractor.
If you want to name the co-authors, they are Alex Milowski,
Matt Fuchs and Murray Maloney.

Namespace support in SOX is broader that that in "Namespaces
in XML" and may well serve to inform the future development
of the W3C schema specification.

I am puzzled by the distinction that you make by saying that
DCD's reuse mechanism is elegant. In what way is SOX reuse
mechanisms less elegant? Furthermore, SOX reuse mechanisms
are more comprehensive than any of the other offerings.

Finally, I do not understand why you categorize SOX as complex.
For the core set of features that are present in all of the schemas
that you analyzed, SOX is comparably complex. For features that are
novel within XML-Data, DCD and SOX, there is additional complexity.

Regards,

Murray

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)