What is a namespace ... really?

Ronald Bourret rbourret at ito.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Jan 15 17:12:50 GMT 1999

David Megginson wrote:

> What if I want to create a schema specifying that (for my set of
> documents) an html:p element may contain a tei:foreign element, or a
> docbook:Trademark element in addition to the regular HTML elements?
>
> What if I want to create a schema specifying that (for my set of
> documents) an html:p element may *not* contain an html:font element?
>
> It doesn't make sense to have to create a new and different namespace
> for either of these -- I'm still using the individual elements in
> mostly the same way.

I think you do need to create a new namespace for these.  Each would give
you multiple definitions of the same variable within the same namespace,
which makes no more sense for XML than it does for a programming language.
 Note that an inheritance scheme might work, but the new element would
exist in your namespace, not the one the supertype inhabits.

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)