XML media types revisited

Borden, Jonathan jborden at mediaone.net
Fri Jan 15 16:20:10 GMT 1999

Simon,

	It's not that its otherwise a bad idea (it is an excellent idea). the
problem is that adding a top level MIME type requires changes to tons of
MIME aware code. This is why I always use text/xml as opposed to
application/xml because the "application" top level is quite frequently used
to denote 8 bit character data or binary data types which need to be base64
encoded for SMTP transport whereas "text" data is 7bit (UNICODE aside :-)
and is appropriately transfered as content-type: 7bit or quoted-printable.

	On the other hand, my MIME code takes special care when it sees the
text/xml content-type (not that this should sway the IETF :-))

	not that these assumptions are valid, its just that they exist.

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net