What is a namespace ... really?

Borden, Jonathan jborden at mediaone.net
Sun Jan 17 04:46:36 GMT 1999

Whoooops, since the list server has been spitting this out so many times and
i've re-read this so many times I just realized that I made a misstatement
here...

That should read: "There are people who also believe that in the future the
namespace *uri* is to specify a Schema definition. ..."

The *concepts* of namespace and schema are different. The uri may in the
future provide a link (for example, in IE5b2). Under the IE5b2 mechanism,
there is a single schema for each namespace whose uri points to a schema
defn. Since a namespace is specified by its uri and a schema is presumably
located in a file (uri), this mechanism creates a 1-1 mapping.

When a more flexible mapping is desired, the uri need not point directly to
the schema uri, rather it could be a "urn:" (which puts off --but does not
prevent-- a solution to the problem :-)

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)