Universality [Re: What is a namespace ... really?]

james anderson James.Anderson at mecomnet.de
Mon Jan 18 17:57:26 GMT 1999

? Where the original note says:

> What if I want to create a schema specifying that (for my set of
> documents) an html:p element may contain a tei:foreign element, or a
> docbook:Trademark element in addition to the regular HTML elements?
>
> What if I want to create a schema specifying that (for my set of
> documents) an html:p element may *not* contain an html:font element?
>
> It doesn't make sense to have to create a new and different namespace
> for either of these -- I'm still using the individual elements in
> mostly the same way.

is the reader to understand that both "peculiarities" would hold at once? hold
"universally" in a given processing environment? that is, it's not a matter of
wishing to present two documents, each with with a different specification for

david at megginson.com wrote:

> james anderson writes:
>
>  > In particular, I would presume that the "html" in mr megginson's
>  > note is literally a prefix term and that the reference is to the
>  > qualified and not the universal name.
>
> Not at all -- I used the "html:p" simply as shorthand for something
> like
>
>   http://www.w3.org/Profiles/voyager-strict + p
>
> (By the way, I'd like to note that I strongly dislike the idea of
> having three separate HTML namespaces as proposed in the Voyager spec
> you're using the loose, strict, or frameset version of HTML).

But, ... as soon as the content model changes - as would appear to be the case
from the variations, for example, in the respective %block entities, then the
respective schemas describe respective elements which do not meet the
class/type conformity requirement set out below. The distinct namespaces thus
seem quit appropriate here.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)