Universality [Re: What is a namespace ... really?]

david at megginson.com david at megginson.com
Mon Jan 18 13:43:07 GMT 1999

james anderson writes:

 > In particular, I would presume that the "html" in mr megginson's
 > note is literally a prefix term and that the reference is to the
 > qualified and not the universal name.

Not at all -- I used the "html:p" simply as shorthand for something
like

  http://www.w3.org/Profiles/voyager-strict + p

(By the way, I'd like to note that I strongly dislike the idea of
having three separate HTML namespaces as proposed in the Voyager spec
you're using the loose, strict, or frameset version of HTML).

 > This leads to the question of whether a processor / an application
 > can expect a universal name to truly always describe the same
 > thing. This question is distinct from how the description of the
 > thing is located (ie whether the uri locates a schema).

To the same extent, I think, that a Java program can expect
org.xml.sax.DocumentHandler to truly always describe the same class
(i.e. not perfectly, but close enough for jazz).

All the best,

David

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html-in-xml/

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com