Template System Using XML

Michael.Kay at icl.com Michael.Kay at icl.com
Mon Jan 18 17:59:33 GMT 1999

I would definitely do things server-side for the time being unless you are
in control of the browser environment for all your users. It will save you a
lot of hassle. I've used Java servlets (with my SAXON library) very
successfully.

As for a templating mechanism, I don't know the answer. Most of the ways of
producing HTML from XML are data-driven rather than display-driven, i.e. you
say "do XYZ to display this data" rather than "at this place in the output
page, put data XYZ". There's a shortage of tools that are really simple for
non-programmers to use.

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)