Template System Using XML

John Hicks cerium at ibm.net
Mon Jan 18 18:55:25 GMT 1999

Hi Michael:

You wrote:

> As for a templating mechanism, I don't know the answer. Most of
> the ways of producing HTML from XML are data-driven rather than
> display-driven, i.e. you say "do XYZ to display this data"
> rather than "at this place in the output page, put data XYZ".
> There's a shortage of tools that are really simple for
> non-programmers to use.

We have used XMLServlet for a similar purpose on several large database
websites.  XMLServlet derives from our own experience building those sites.
It reads XML and matching database tables and combines them into live HTML
for delivery to a browser.  It doesn't require XML at the browser, or on the
client side.  XMLServlet can talk to any browser.  As you specified,
XMLServlet keeps database logic and webpage layout separate.  We found that
other tools today mingle and entangle the two for most of the duration of a
long project.

Ideally, your database logic and your page design don't cross until runtime,
and don't cross anywhere except in the XML.  Database differences and
webpage differences show up in the XML, not in the servlet.  For new
databases and new interfaces, you adapt the XML, not the servlet.  Edit, not
compile.  A great many members of your development team who will never write
a Java servlet can "program" XMLServlet with XML.

You could also have a look at our article in JRun Magazine, January
(http://jrunmag.com).  Or contact me if I can help.

John Hicks

Cerium Component Software
Build Your Database Website with Our XML Team or Tools
XML Outline | XML DB | XML Servlet
212-662-3982 | 888-742-8989
http://ceriumworks.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)