XML Component API

Oren Ben-Kiki oren at capella.co.il
Mon Jan 18 20:01:46 GMT 1999

Michael.Kay at icl.com wrote:

>> From: Oren Ben-Kiki [mailto:oren at capella.co.il]
>> I raised the question of a standard API to XSL processors in
>> the XSL mailing
>> list. This question has quickly touched on general issues of
>> how to combine
>> XML processing modules, since there are two incompatible ways
>> to pass XML
>> data - as an in-memory DOM tree or as "parsing" events.
>
>SAXON (http://home.iclweb.com/icl2/mhkay/saxon.html) provides a
higher-level
>API that can be used to process XML documents on top of either SAX or DOM.
>It provides a useful model where most of your processing is sequential but
>you might occasionally (or in the future) want to navigate from a node that
>you reached serially, e.g. to follow an IDREF.

The SAXON framework seems well suited for doing XSL-like transformations,
but doesn't solve the problem of combining different XML processing
components into a single computation - at least, it doesn't seem to have
have any advantage over the SAX interfaces in this very specific regard.
SAXON does make one wonder what would have become of XSL if it was designed
as a procedural instead of declerative language...

Share & Enjoy,

    Oren Ben-Kiki

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)