OSS vs W3C? was: Next Round

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Thu Jan 21 10:09:55 GMT 1999

"Matthew Sergeant (EML)" wrote:

>         Is this neccessarily a bad thing? I don't know - we've never really
> experienced anything different. And yet when I compare it to the software
> world, and read "The Cathedral and The Bazaar", I can't help wondering if
> developing standards in a Bazaar might be a better model. It would certainly
> be interesting to try.

It wouldn't really be an experiment. Many standards are made in more open
models. For instance the IETF model is very open. The W3C was formed in
large part in reaction to the failure of the IETF HTML working group
"bazaar" to complete a post-HTML 2.0 specification. We could argue whether
that was a particular failure or systemic.

The ISO model is also very open although discussions do not proceed on the
Internet to the same extent.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Don't you know that the smart bombs are so clever, they only kill
bad people."
	- http://www.boingo.com/lyrics/WarAgain.html

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)