OSS vs W3C? was: Next Round

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Thu Jan 21 13:02:56 GMT 1999

At 10:00 AM 1/21/99 +0100, Matthew Sergeant (EML) wrote:
>	It's interesting I was thinking about the very same thing just the
>other day. Currently our standards as defined by the W3C (and other
>standards bodies) are defined by effectively locking a group of "members" in
>a room and waiting until they emerge with something worthwhile. [...]
>
>	Is this neccessarily a bad thing? I don't know - we've never really
>experienced anything different. And yet when I compare it to the software
>world, and read "The Cathedral and The Bazaar", I can't help wondering if
>developing standards in a Bazaar might be a better model. It would certainly
>be interesting to try.

XML-Dev has had two such open efforts I'd call successful - SAX and
XSchema.  While XSchema (now submitted to the W3C as DDML) hasn't recieved
the broad implementation SAX has - it's a much more crowded field, the
standard-building process definitely had an effect on the way the XML
world, including the W3C, looks at schemas.  For more on DDML and the
process used to build it, see http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ddml.  (Yes, I'll be
updating the page to reflect acceptance of XSchema as the DDML note shortly.)

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (March)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)