Next Round

Bill la Forge b.laforge at jxml.com
Thu Jan 21 16:39:28 GMT 1999

My personal experience is that things are ever so much easier when
addressed at the appropriate level. And in particular, replacing a name
string with an object that can be subclassed means that an API can be
extended very cleanly.

This means that it might be sufficient simply to replace tag and attribute names
with objects that hold the name string, and then define an extended interface that
can be used for namespaces.

Again the objection that this is too Java specific? I would say that for non-Java
languages, the base interface should also support an additional method, say
isInstanceOf. Nothing as heavy as the MS IUnknown is needed.

Then to raise again a previous suggestion from Don, we could simply extend the
functionality of the Parser.setDocumentHandler method by checking to see if the
lexical processor interface is implemented. And again, for non-Java languages,
the DocumentHandler interface should implement an isInstanceOf method.

Refining this further, we could have an interface that is only useful for non-Java
languages:

public interface nonJava
{
    public boolean isInstanceOf(String interfaceName);
}

This then could be the base interface for all SAX interfaces, when not using Java.

(I would NOT want to do this in Java, as the instanceOf operator is very convenient.)

Bill