<!NOTATION>

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Fri Jan 22 15:33:01 GMT 1999

Matthew Sergeant (EML) wrote:

> [Information from notations] doesn't appear (to me) to be any use
> to parsers.

If by "parsers" you mean narrowly what the XML Rec calls "XML
processors, you are quite right.  It is meant for the lowest level
of XML applications, just above the parser proper.

> It can be of /some/ use to custom parser code, but only when
> that code has prior knowledge of these notation definitions. And that's a
> shame.

There has to be such knowledge somewhere.  The model of "tag data
of a given type with a magic string" has worked well for MIME;
one advantage of notations is that they allow anybody to standardize
a type, not just IANA.

> Perhaps we need some standard notations?

We do.  Lay on, Macduff.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)