XML-RPC spec revised

Dave Winer dave at userland.com
Fri Jan 22 16:12:42 GMT 1999

Yesterday we posted revisions to the XML-RPC spec:

http://www.scripting.com/frontier5/xml/code/rpc.html#update1

There were clarifications on formats for values of params and returned values.

A new value type, <base64>, was added, to allow transmission of binary
encoded data.

There are now Python, Perl, Java and Frontier implementations of XML-RPC.
Many of the clarifications were needed to support the new implementations.
The <base64> value type was suggested by the Python folks, and it was a
very good idea and solved a lot of thorny problems.

We're also making good progress working with Allaire on bridging WDDX and
XML-RPC. The project heated up last week, but has quieted down this week
because Allaire is doing their IPO today! That's a good excuse in my book. ;->

Still diggin!

Dave