SAX: Next Round (Namespace support)

James Clark jjc at jclark.com
Sun Jan 24 03:45:57 GMT 1999

david at megginson.com wrote:

>   public interface NamespaceParser
>   {
>     public void enableNamespaceProcessing (boolean flag);
>     public void setSeparator (String sep);
>   }

This looks good, but I don't see the need for two functions. Just

 void setNamespaceSeparator(String sep);

seems to me to be enough: null means disable namespace processing (the
default); non-null means expand names using the specified separator.

However, I wonder whether it's really a good idea to allow apps to
choose the separator. It makes it harder to chain together SAX processes
using things like the Filter.  If one DocumentHandler expects names
separated by # and another expects them separated by !, then they can't
work together without some additional glue. I think consideration should
be given to mandating a specific separator character. It's not obvious
to me what the right answer is here.

James

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)