SAX: Next Round (Namespace support)

james anderson James.Anderson at mecomnet.de
Mon Jan 25 16:03:56 GMT 1999

I would like to pose the question: "why is this separator necessary?".
I am aware, that the tendancy is to drag the URI's around as an immediate part
of the universal name.
Which leads to the "out-of-band" separator.
But... Why is it necessary to catenate the URI with the local part of the name?

In other words, if it is a matter of implementation, I wonder why it isn't a
really good idea to intern the names into collections which are named by URI.
If that happens - whether immediately while parsing or later "within the
application", then the intermediate catenated form is unnecessary.

At the least, wouldn't it be better to leave this decision (both whether to
catenate, and if so with which separator) to a name factory - so long as the
resulting instances conform to the interface which yields local, uri, and
universal names?

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)