Why SAX needs namespace support

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Tue Jan 26 19:36:55 GMT 1999

At 07:27 PM 1/26/99 +0100, james anderson wrote:
>i suspect i stand in a (very small) minority on this issue, but with respect
>to the diagram (http://www.simonstl.com/articles/layering/layered2.gif.) the
>"namespace transformation" should appear at least above "attribute
>defaulting". i fear i stand in an even smaller minority on the second claim -
>that it belongs above entity resolution. perhaps not in the current spec, but
>time will tell.

You certainly could put it above attribute defaulting if you liked; part of
what I'm proposing is putting that kind of control in the hands of the
application developer rather than the parser author.  Personally, I use
attribute defaults for most of my namespace declarations, but your
situation may definitely vary.

Time will certainly tell.  Hopefully, it will be merciful.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (March)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)