namespace partitions

james anderson James.Anderson at mecomnet.de
Thu Jan 28 09:01:57 GMT 1999

Could someone else who has implemented support for namespaces comment on the
"workings" of namespace partitions. When they first appeared over the summer,
they merely struck me as unnecessarily baroque. Now that they are still
included in the recommended standard (although downgraded to "non-normative"),
I'm wondering what consequence they have in implemented parsers and DOMs.

I'm wondering why they appear in the spec at all.

Do they offer any advantages for binding attribute declarations? ... for a
validation algorithm? Maybe I need to go over to the XSL list and enquire
about their effect on pattern formulation.

I pose the question since, despite a careful reading of the section on the
"internal structure" of namespaces, I can understand them only as conflating
the identity of a name with the mechanism used to bind an attribute definition
to the name.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)