Is XML dead already or what? Was: RE: What is XML for?

Dave Winer dave at userland.com
Sat Jan 30 16:51:27 GMT 1999

Our file size is limited to 4 gigabytes. (31-bit internal address.)

50MB databases are very common. It scales up to 500MB, but few of our
customers have databases that large. I wouldn't promote, at this time, our
odb being used for a multi-gigabyte application in a single file, but if it
can be separated into multiple files, I don't see a problem.

We have customers right now building multi-terabyte applications, and we're
not hitting any walls.

Caveat, there will be performance problems if you try to implement a huge
relational database in the object database. If the data is relational use a
RDBMS to manage it.

Our system is especially appropriate when content management is the
application. We've focused primarily on *web* content management:

http://www.scripting.com/frontier5/whatIsFrontier.html

Other people have built systems in Frontier for scalable content
management, for print and web, or whatever, using the XML underpinnings. I
highly recommend looking at the XMLTR suite by Paul Howson, he's been
leading our community in this direction.

http://www.flexi.net.au/~tdg/xmltr/

And thanks for asking! It's important to learn about the practical side of
this stuff. I for one, would love to hear how Excelon from Object Design
compares, they've been inaccurately claiming to be the first XML object
database. This has caused me to be less shy about Frontier 5's capabilities
in this area. (Frontier 6 is in the pipe btw.)

Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)