Storing Lots of Fiddly Bits (was Re: What is XML for?)

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sat Jan 30 17:40:14 GMT 1999

"Borden, Jonathan" wrote:

> > I think we have a definitional problem. I call anything that handles
> > "little fiddly graphs of data with links and annotations" an object
> > database. Is there someone in XML-DEV land with a better definition?
> > --
>         Object databases don't have any particular claim in this area. The current
> varieties seem more suited to work with particular languages (e.g. c++ or
> java). Oracle has announced an DOM interface in 8i, ObjectDesign  a DOM
> interface in eXcelon .. so, the only difference is how easy they are to work
> with and how fast they process specific tasks (oh ... and how much they cost
> :-)

You didn't really answer my question. If Oracle 8i provides the same
support for "graphs of data with links and annotations" that ObjectDesign
then in what sense is it NOT an object database. I'm still asking for a
definition.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did,
but she did it backwards and in high heels."
                                               --Faith Whittlesey

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)