Announcement: SAX2 1999-06-01 alpha release for Java

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Tue Jun 1 16:52:07 BST 1999

There is an alpha version of SAX2 for Java available for download from

  http://www.megginson.com/SAX/SAX2/

Be warned that this is very early, and that everything is subject to
change.  I'd like to thank everyone on this list for their input, and
I hope that all contributors will see at least some of their
suggestions implemented (even if they're annoyed that others have been
passed over).

You also need the SAX 1.0 distribution to use SAX2.  SAX2 does not
replace SAX 1.0, but it does augment it by adding additional
functionality for those who want it; for now, the feature/property
setting and discovery is being handled through a separate interface.
People are encouraged to start supporting SAX2, but SAX 1.0
implementations will not become obsolete.

Here's what's in the SAX2 core:

* package org.xml.sax

- interface Configurable
- class SAXNotSupportedException (extends SAXException)
- class SAXNotRecognizedException (extends SAXNotSupportedException)

* package org.xml.sax.misc

- interface DeclHandler
- interface LexicalHandler
- interface NamespaceHandler

* package org.xml.sax.helpers

- class ConfigurableParserAdapter (implements Parser, Configurable)

I've also hacked together a simple SAX2 wrapper for Microstar's
AElfred SAX 1.0 driver, which more-or-less correctly reports what
features are available (such as external entity expansion) and
unavailable (such as validation).  It is available through a separate
download.

Note that even SAX2 parsers are free not to implement any or all of
the core features and properties.

Thanks, and all the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com