Namespace URI address resources

Jonathan Borden jborden at mediaone.net
Tue Jun 1 15:37:06 BST 1999

Didier PH Martin wrote:
>Hi Paul,
>
>Paul said:
>According to RFC 2396, A URI is a sequence of characters with a restricted
>syntax that can act as a reference to something that has identity. If the
>something doesn't exist then it cannot and is thus not a URI.
>
>Didier says:
>Exactly. A URI represent something. It is a U_niform R_esource I_dentifier.
>It provides identitity to a resource.

    Yes but 'existence' can mean abstract existence, i.e. existence as a
concept or existence as a name. Hence any syntactically legal URI when used
only as a name, identifies a resource. This abstract resource is the name
itself. Under this definition of resource (explicit per RFC 2396) I
completely agree that every URI identifies a resource.

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)