Just require URLs

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Wed Jun 2 16:19:45 BST 1999

Paul Prescod writes:

 > Tim claims that a namespace is not a resource of any sort.

I cannot speak for Tim, but here's one way to think of it:

<strawman>
The Namespace is the *abstraction* of the collection of XML names that
happen to share the same URI part (the Platonic Ideal of the
collection, if you will).
</strawman>

I don't know if I actually agree with this; on the other hand, if we
had waited to get the philosophy right before releasing Namespaces,
we'd have been talking for years.  Please don't complain that the W3C
isn't ISO or the EU.

We batted around a lot of ideas like this during the design process,
but we were at least smart enough to realize that we weren't smart
enough to do that much that fast.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com