Just require URLs

Jonathan Borden jborden at mediaone.net
Wed Jun 2 21:08:36 BST 1999

Didier PH Martin wrote:

>Didier says:
>There is a project called PURL (permanent URL) that uses URL to create
>permanent names. However, if we overload locators (URL) to do everything
>even the morning coffee, we'll have some confusion. Its like have a single
>word to designate everything. This is why we created URN. To distinguish
>names (URN) form locators (URL). YOu are right to say that on some browser,
>we can implement a name resolver as a protocol handler. But this is caused
>by these browsers architecture not by the URN scheme being perceived as a
>URL.

    Let me get this straight .... *you are* suggesting a mechanism to allow
resolution of "urn:...." into a resource, no?
Isn't a URI which locates resources a URL (by definition) regardless of the
scheme? You are suggesting using the "urn" scheme to locate resources,
correct? using some extension to DNS, correct? This is a protocol, no?

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)