All this buisiness about namespace URNs...

Michael S. Brothers Michael.S.Brothers at EMCIns.Com
Thu Jun 3 20:23:03 BST 1999

On Wed, 02 Jun 1999 15:08:29 -0400 (EDT) David Megginson
<david at megginson.com> wrote:

> Kent Sievers writes:
>
>  > 2) Are we really that worried about collisions?  After all, don't
>  >    I usually know (and approve)  with whom I am exchanging data?

David Megginson reply:

> Not really, especially if you count HTTP transactions as "exchanging
> data", and in the future, I expect that things will get even more
> complicated: e-commerce, in particular, pretty much requires an
> ability for blind information exchange.

This being where an industry-wide standards organization fills the void
and develops the elements, attributes, etc., for all entities doing
business in that industry. If such DTD's (x-schema's, whatever) are in
place, communication within the industry would be seamless. The
complication arises when trying to exchange data outside the industry.

That's why I fall into the camp of having the namespace designator
actually point to a document that is retrievable and explains the data
being sent.

Take Care,

Michael S. Brothers
Michael.S.Brothers at EMCIns.com
515-362-7473
At this point, I don't think that's the best
option.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)