Well-Formed SNAFU

WorldNet csgallagher at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 5 17:05:46 BST 1999

I've noticed that Netscape Communicator 4.x ignores <br/> and haven't tried
same with IE4.x as I've upgraded to IE5. What techniques are going to be
developed to account for this backwards compatibility issue if one creates
otherwise well-formed documents? Must we count on the DOM and script our way
into redundancy again? Would 'inline redundancy' be a strategy as in the
form of <br><br/> or would this break the current and future processors
while addressing the foibles of the earlier releases?

Lastly, I thought I read somewhere to use <br /> using white space and when
I use this technique this seems to be recognized by Communicator 4.x *and*
IE5 but I wonder again about generalized usage in this regard with respect
to maintaining a well-formed document.

If this white space technique for empty tags is to be the way it should be
done why do I not see this technique used in the examples that are being
published? I hope to remind those of you who have a grasp on usage that most
of us are engaged in 'monkey see - monkey do'.

Clinton Gallagher
NET cpio at metromilwaukee.com
URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)