Overloaded URIs (was Re: XLink: behavior must go!)

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Sun Jun 6 05:18:36 BST 1999

> > It strikes me as clearly poor design to use an HTTP url for something
not
> > retrievable by the HTTP protocol.
>
> It would be, but no such examples were given.

Here are two:

In http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/ there is the example of using
http://www.w3.org/staffId/85740 to refer to a person.
In http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xslt-19990421,
http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0 is used as the namespace.

Admittedly, I have less of a problem with a latter case. I would imagine
that soon there will be some document placed at that URI (whether a machine
readable schema or not) describing the namespace.

I have a bigger problem with the former, as I have outlined previously on
this list. To raise again the sample problem I raised before: what would it
mean to use RDF to specifier the Creator of http://www.w3.org/staffId/85740?
Does it mean The Creator :-) or the creator of the retrievable resource (if
any) at that URI?

James

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)