question for a friend

Kay Michael Michael.Kay at icl.com
Fri Jun 11 12:20:51 BST 1999

Lisa Rein:
> say we have a part of a document below (probably a part of a very long
> document).  Yes i KNOW this is misnested.  this is the point.  he was
> saying that this kind of context couldn't be represented using a
> well-formed structure:
[snip]

I don't really understand the semantics of your example. But yes, there are
situations where you want to impose multiple hierarchic structures over the
same linear data. An obvious one is logical structure vs layout structure
(e.g. sections and pages) another is logical structure vs change history and
authorship.

I'm only aware of two answers:

1. Represent one of the hierarchies using empty tags, e.g. <PAGEBREAK/>.
2. Split the units of one of the heirarchies to achieve proper nesting:

<SPEECH>
<SPEAKER>OTHELLO</SPEAKER>
<LINE>Most potent, grave, and reverend signiors,</LINE>
<LINE>My very noble and approved good masters,</LINE>
<LINE>That I have ta'en away this old man's daughter,</LINE>
<LINE>It is most true; true, I have married her:</LINE>
<LINE>The very head and front of my offending</LINE>
<LINE>Hath this extent, no more. Rude am I in my speech,</LINE>
<LINE>And little bless'd with the soft phrase of peace:</LINE>
<LINE>For since these arms of mine had seven years' pith,</LINE>
<LINE>Till now some nine moons wasted, they have used</LINE>
<LINE>Their dearest action in the tented field,</LINE>
<LINE>And little of this great world can I speak,</LINE>
<LINE>More than pertains to feats of broil and battle,</LINE>
<LINE>And therefore little shall I grace my cause</LINE>
<LINE>In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,</LINE>
<LINE>I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver</LINE>
<LINE>Of my whole course of love; what drugs, what charms,</LINE>
<LINE>What conjuration and what mighty magic,</LINE>
<LINE>For such proceeding I am charged withal,</LINE>
<LINE PART="1">I won his daughter.</LINE>
</SPEECH>

<SPEECH>
<SPEAKER>BRABANTIO</SPEAKER>
<LINE PART="2">A maiden never bold;</LINE>
<LINE>Of spirit so still and quiet, that her motion</LINE>
<LINE>Blush'd at herself; and she, in spite of nature,</LINE>
<LINE>Of years, of country, credit, every thing,</LINE>
<LINE>To fall in love with what she fear'd to look on!</LINE>
<LINE>It is a judgment maim'd and most imperfect</LINE>
<LINE>That will confess perfection so could err</LINE>
<LINE>Against all rules of nature, and must be driven</LINE>
<LINE>To find out practises of cunning hell,</LINE>
<LINE>Why this should be. I therefore vouch again</LINE>
<LINE>That with some mixtures powerful o'er the blood,</LINE>
<LINE>Or with some dram conjured to this effect,</LINE>
<LINE>He wrought upon her.</LINE>
</SPEECH>

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)