Packaging and hub documents

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Mon Jun 14 20:19:55 BST 1999

Tim Bray writes:

 > It is becoming painfully obvious that we need a general-purpose
 > packaging mechanism to deliver an arbitrary number of related
 > whatevers along with a piece of XML payload.  There has been a lot
 > of discussion about this around the W3C.  It may be the case that
 > multipart-mime provides a general solution for this problem (don't
 > understand it well enough myself to have an opinion), or perhaps
 > we need an XML Packaging Language to use for this purpose. -Tim

To start with, we need a hub document -- RDF would do:

  <?xml version="1.0"?>

	   xmlns:hub="http://www.w3.org/1999/12/18-xml-hub-ns#"
	   xmlns:msft="http://www.microsoft.com/ns/xml-data/"
	   xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl/">

  <hub:Document rdf:about="http://www.foo.com/foo.xml">
  <hub:root rdf:resource="foo.xml"/>
  <hub:schema rdf:resource="document.xsm"/>
  <xsl:stylesheet rdf:resource="document.xsl"/>
  <msft:schema rdf:resource="document-xml-data.xml"/>
  </hub:Document>

  </rdf:RDF>

A client could download the hub first, then decide what else it needs.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/