Packaging and hub documents

Jerome McDonough jmcdonou at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 14 21:00:28 BST 1999

At 02:21 PM 6/14/1999 -0400, David Megginson wrote:
>Tim Bray writes:
>
> > It is becoming painfully obvious that we need a general-purpose
> > packaging mechanism to deliver an arbitrary number of related
> > whatevers along with a piece of XML payload.  There has been a lot
> > of discussion about this around the W3C.  It may be the case that
> > multipart-mime provides a general solution for this problem (don't
> > understand it well enough myself to have an opinion), or perhaps
> > we need an XML Packaging Language to use for this purpose. -Tim
>
>To start with, we need a hub document -- RDF would do:

We are developing something quite like this for a research project
at Berkeley (including using a XML hub document), and have been considering
whether it's something that we should start trying to get more feedback
on and move towards some kind of standards track.  The hub describes a
hierarchical structure for a document object, and then allows you to associate
different digital manifestations (e.g., page images, locations in an SGML
transcription file) with nodes in the structural description, and also
associate administrative metadata (IP rights, source/provenance, etc.) with
the individual manifestations.  As the work is mainly oriented towards
supporting
the library/archival worlds' needs to disseminate digitized primary resources,
it may not exactly fit the bill for what you're describing, but you can
feel free to have a look and make suggestions.  Information on the full
project is available at:

	http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/moa2/

Look in particular at the information in the MOA2 Document Type Definition
section, including the brief tutorial and DTD.  (The DTD on the web site
is not the most recent version, but it's not all that different from
the current one).

Jerome McDonough -- jmcdonou at library.Berkeley.EDU  |  (......)
Library Systems Office, 386 Doe, U.C. Berkeley     |  \ *  * /
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000    (510) 642-5168          |  \  <>  /
"Well, it looks easy enough...."                   |   \ -- /  SGNORMPF!!!
         -- From the Famous Last Words file        |    ||||

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)